Guitar auction to benefit Girls Rock Roanoke summer camp - FOX 21/27 WFXR Roanoke/WWCW Lynchburg News, Weather

Guitar auction to benefit Girls Rock Roanoke summer camp

Posted: Updated:

This weekend, big named music acts will take the stage at the Roanoke Civic Center, but beyond rocking out for the crowd they're working together to make a difference.

Styx, REO Speedwagon and Ted Nugent will sign a guitar and auction it off with 75% of the proceeds going to bombing victims and the other 25% will be given to local charity, Girls Rock Roanoke.

LeeRay Costa came up with the summer camp idea for 8 to 12-year-old girls after her daughter attended Girls Rock North Carolina last summer.

Leeray hopes the money raised through this weekend's guitar auction will pay for at least 10 scholarships to summer camp.

"This will make a huge difference, because we are starting with zero and we will rely on the tuition for some girls.  We want to make sure that all girls attend regardless of their family's ability to pay, so any money that we can raise will help us to reach more girls in the Roanoke community," said LeeRay Costa.

At girls rock Roanoke the young ladies will learn to play an instrument, form a band, write an original song and perform in public.