The Virginia's Veterans Parade is this Saturday.
Plenty of groups are getting ready. This year's parade through downtown Roanoke includes five local high school bands, the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets and many more veterans groups.
If you stop by the Roanoke City Market Building before the parade you can meet local veterans and thank them for their service.
"We got a lot of generations of men and women who have served our country and given themselves up and sacrifice and is just a great time to come down and say thanks and just make them feel good and proud about what they did for our country," said Jeff Perkins with the parade committee.
Streets in downtown Roanoke close down at 10:30 a.m. and the parade starts at 11 a.m.
On Saturday, November 9, 2013, there will be several streets closed from 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM due to the "Virginia's Veterans Parade" event. The following streets will be closed:
- Williamson Road southbound, between Salem Avenue and Elm Avenue, at 8:00 AM
- Church Avenue, between Williamson Road and Jefferson Street, to through traffic at 10:00 AM
- Market Street, between Campbell Avenue and Church Avenue, to through traffic at 10:00 AM
- Kirk Avenue, between Jefferson Street and Williamson Road, to through traffic at 10:00 AM
- Elm Avenue westbound, between Williamson Road and Jefferson Street, at 11:00 AM
- Jefferson Street, between Elm Avenue and Salem Avenue, at 11:00 AM
- Campbell Avenue, 1st Street SW and Williamson Road, at 11:00 AM
Due to these events, on-street parking may be temporarily restricted.
The Center in the Square Garage will not be accessible on Saturday, November 9, 2013 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM. However, patrons will be able to exit the garage using Kirk Avenue.
The Market Garage will be accessible from Williamson Road northbound from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM.
The Elmwood Park Garage will be accessible from Williamson Road northbound from 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM
Other then these restrictions, all other parking garages and parking lots will remain accessible throughout these events.
Valley Metro buses will run on their usual schedules. Trip planning on Valley Metro buses is available via Google Transit at www.valleymetro.com