Roanoke Valley racers, joggers, and walkers are preparing for the 8th annual StellarOne Drumstick DASH this Thanksgiving day, and you can still sign up and get in on the action.
The 5K family race benefits Rescue Mission Ministries, which provides food, shelter, and clothing to local people in need. It's been named the 2013 "best charity event" by The Roanoker.
Each year, more than 15,000 people participate in the race through downtown Roanoke. So far, registration is up more than 10 percent over last year.
And new this year is a corporate challenge inviting companies to compete with the most team members.
To make sure the runners are safe, several streets will be closed from 7 a.m. to noon on Thanksgiving, but a detour will be established.
The following streets will be closed:
- Williamson Road, between Church Avenue and the Elmwood Park Garage entrance
- Tazewell Avenue, between 4th Street SE and Williamson Road
- 3rd Street SE, between Campbell Avenue and Bullitt Avenue
- Franklin Road, between Williamson Road and 3rd Street SW
- Franklin Road eastbound, between 3rd Street SW and Elm Avenue
- 3rd Street SW, between Church Avenue and Franklin Road
- 2nd Street SW, between Church Avenue and Day Avenue
- Luck Avenue, between Jefferson Street and 3rd Street SW
- Church Avenue, between Jefferson Street and 2nd Street SW
- Church Avenue, between 3rd Street SW and 5th Street SW
- 5th Street SW, between Luck Avenue and Norfolk Avenue
- 5th Street SW southbound, between Shenandoah Avenue and Norfolk Avenue
- Salem Avenue, between Williamson Road and 6th Street, closed to through traffic
- Gainsboro Road, between Wells Avenue and Salem Avenue
- Centre Ave, between Henry Street and Jefferson Street
- Shenandoah Avenue, between Williamson Road and Centre Avenue
- Norfolk Avenue westbound, between Market Street and 1 ½ Street
- Campbell Avenue, Williamson Avenue and 3rd Street SW
- Campbell Avenue eastbound, 6th Street SW and 3rd Street SW
Due to these events, on-street parking may be temporarily restricted.
The Tower Garage, Center in the Square Garage, and the Gainsboro Garage will not be accessible Thursday, Nov. 28, 2013, from 8:30-11 a.m. All other parking garages and parking lots will remain accessible.
Valley Metro buses will run on their usual schedules. Trip planning on Valley Metro buses is available via Google Transit at www.valleymetro.com.